This is going to seem so silly to parents who began sleep
training their children much sooner. But… our child can finally put himself to
sleep!
I would not be surprised if many people felt like my husband
and I (okay, let’s be honest, it was all me) were too attached parents for too
long. But what those people don’t understand is that I genuinely did not
believe that I would ever get pregnant again. It took us four years to get
pregnant with our son after having a miscarriage at 6 weeks in 2009. I believed
that even if I ever did get pregnant again, I would probably miscarry or have
an ectopic pregnancy or something like that. Call me dismal, but I just couldn’t
bring myself to believe that I was suddenly cured of my “unexplained
infertility” just like that.
So, I considered my son to be my one and only child. I felt
lucky, blessed, privileged, honored, grateful that I had him. I cherished him
and gave him 110% from the beginning. I breastfed him until he was 17 months
and 1 week old. I shared my bed with him until he was just a few weeks shy of 2
years old. And to be honest, if I hadn’t been 31 weeks pregnant, I probably
would have kept bed sharing for many more years. I started sleeping in the same
room with him, but in a different bed when I was 30 weeks pregnant and then a
week or so later, he was doing so well that we moved him into his own room. He
has done very well in his own room. And I’ll admit, he even sleeps better in
his own bed- and so do I (well, for a 34-week pregnant gal).
Our son had his 2-year check-up this Tuesday and we told him
about how we always pat our son’s back or lay with him until he falls asleep
for his nap and bedtime. I told him that it takes 10-30 minutes for him to fall
asleep for his nap and it takes, on average, an hour for him to fall asleep at
bedtime. It didn’t start taking that long until I weaned him. I could nurse him
right to sleep in 5-20 minutes any time before that. For a long time after
weaning him, we would literally sit or lay there and pat his back for an hour
or more. For the past couple of months, we would only pat his back for 5
minutes or so at night and then we would lay with him for a while and sneak out
after half an hour or so once he was still awake but too sleepy to notice. The
doctor stressed the importance of getting him to fall asleep on his own before
the baby comes. This seemed daunting at first, but I knew we had already made a
lot of progress in the last few weeks and we could do it. We started two nights
ago and I would cave every time because I was too exhausted to keep putting
Nicholas back in his bed. But today… he finally put himself to sleep at nap
time! It took 2 hours and me putting him back in his bed half a dozen times… but he did it! And now that he has done it once,
hopefully it will take less and less time each time and he will become a pro at
putting himself to sleep!
No comments:
Post a Comment