Thursday, December 18, 2014

Let the Good Times Roll (11 Weeks)

The more I talk to other women, the more I realize my experience was actually a lot more common than I thought. It is saddening to know that we women go through such hardships in bearing and caring for newborns (and our husbands- we're in it together!), but it is nice to not have to feel alone. I feel like we all put our best foot forward in public and on social networks. I look at other new moms and I think, "How do they do it?!", because they seem to have it all together, all figured out. Their babies seem so easy.

But then I realize I probably seem the same way. When Nicholas is being fussy, I don't think to myself, 'Hmm, I think I'll grab my camera and take a picture or video of him being a butt'. I'm thinking, 'What in the world does he want?! What is wrong?! What can I do?!'. So Facebook is full of his smiles and cuteness, and I'm sure that's how it is with most moms. We think to capture the good times, and get the bad times over with as quickly as possible. But enough reminiscing on the hard times.

Luckily, the good times happen more often these days, and the hard times are fewer and further apart.

Nicholas is 11 weeks old now. He "talks" all the time. He even giggles or squeals sometimes when he gets really excited and carried away. He smiles all the time. He started smiling at 6 weeks, but he wasn't smiling truly emotional smiles until about 7 weeks or so. He even throws his head back when he smiles and laughs. It is the cutest thing ever. He loves it when we "moo" at him like a cow and he even "moos" back. He likes it when we make funny noises and he tries to mimic them. He hasn't really "found" his hands or feet yet. But I think he is starting to learn to grab at things, he just hasn't mastered it yet. He likes to sit up straight like a big boy. He HATES (with a passion) his car seat because he can't sit up straight in it. And he does not like to recline in his swing either. He is not a fan of tummy time and shows little interest in crawling. We think he might skip the crawling phase altogether. He has started "teething". We can't see or feel anything, but he gnaws on everything he can and will chew on our fingers, that seems to feel the best to him. He loves little kids. He sleeps about 8-9 hours a night on average. He sleeps for about 5-6 hours. Eats. And then sleeps for about another 3 hours. And he takes a nap during the day for about 3 hours (sometimes split up into two 90 minute naps). So he only sleeps about 12 hours a day, but at least nights are better.

I am ashamed to say this, but he loves TV. Well, we don't have cable, we just watch movies, so I should say he loves movies. He loves to watch people and listen to people talk, and movies are so interesting and entertaining to him. He gets very involved in movies, too. He talks about and reacts appropriately to everything whether it's scary, funny, or suspenseful. It's almost scary to watch him react the way a grown person would.

We recently bought him a walker (for months from now). We put pillows under it so he can reach with his feet and he loves it! We also got him a jumper for Christmas. We think he'll really enjoy it! He already loves to walk. We hold him up and he'll walk, putting one foot in front of the other. You won't believe this, but he's been doing that since the beginning. He's one smart cookie!

He loves to be held and have attention. Sometimes he'll tolerate being placed on the floor or his swing for a while and look around and make noises but he doesn't get enough attention that way and will demand undivided attention after no more than 10-15 minutes.

He definitely has personality and we are enjoying getting to know his little personality more and more every day. We are so happy to have him in our lives and we love him to pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment